Björn Klinge is Professor in Periodontology and Dean at the Faculty of Odontology, Malmo University, Malmo, Sweden and he is also Professor in the Department of Periodontology at the Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm, Sweden.
He obtained his D.D.S. in 1977 and his Ph.D. in Odontology in 1984 from Lund University in Malmö, Sweden. He has been a Licensed Dental Surgeon since 1977 and a Licensed Specialist in Periodontology since 1988.
Professor Klinge’s professional assignments include:
- Head/Prefect of the Institute of Odontology from Karolinska Institutet from 1996 to 2002, and was Dean of the Institutet’s Faculty of Odontology between 1996 and 1998.
- He was Acting President of the Karolinska Institutet during July 1997 and July 1998
- He held the position of Associate Dean for Undergraduate Curriculum at the Centre for Oral Health Sciences at Lund University from 1990 to 1994. He headed the Department of Lab Animal Resources from 1980 to 1994, and was an Associate Professor in the Periodontology department between 1985 and 1994.
Among his scientific assignments are:
- Scientific Advisor to The National Board of Health and Welfare since 2002
- Appointment as Expert to the New Swedish National Dental Insurance organization by the Swedish Government from 2007
- Appointment by the Swedish Government to the Board of Directors of SBU, The Swedish Council on Technology Assessment in Health Care, in 2005. He worked as a member of the Scientific Committee between 2003 and 2005. From 2000 to 2004, he was a member of the SBU project group: Methods for Diagnosing, Preventing and Treating Periodontitis.
Professor Klinge worked first as a general dentist in a private office in 1977-1979. He was instructor at the Department of Oral Pathology from Lund University (1976-78). He was lecturer in Periodontology at Loma Linda University, in California, USA, in 1979-1980. He was then appointed Clinical instructor of the Department of Periodontology of Lund University, in 1980-84, before he became Associate Chief Dental Officer in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at the County Hospital of Halmstad throughout 1984-1986. He went back to Lund University between 1985 and 1990 as Associate Chief Dental Officer of the Department of Periodontology.
Professor Klinge has been President of the Scandinavian Society for Laboratory Animal Science from 1993 to 1996. He was also Chairman at the Lab Animal Board of the Swedish Medical Research Council from 1995 to 1998. He has been sitting as Chairman of the board at the Karolinska Education Inc. in 2002- 2008 and in the Ethics council of Karolinska Institutet since 2009.
He takes part into two commissions of trust: he is a member of the Ethics in Dental Research Committee of IADR; and he was Chairman of the Ethics Advisory Council of Karolinska Institutet.
On an international level, Professor Klinge took part in the DentEd international programme of assessment and review of curricula at European Dental Schools between 2000 and 2005. These thematic network projects were supported by the European Union’s Directorate on Education and Culture. He was an external reviewer for the University of Witten-Herdecke in 2000; in Clinical Medicine, Dentistry and Public Health for the University of Helsinki Research Assessment in 2005, and also for the University of Dublin from 2000 to 2003 and in 2007. He worked as an external expert and Academic Advisor for the Department of Periodontology of Hong Kong University in 2003. He has lectured internationally in more than 30 countries.
He has more than 100 scientific publications in refereed international journals available through PubMed.
Björn Klinge has received several recognitions during his career:
- The Pedagogical Prize from Lund University in 1990
- Black´s award for research from the Swedish Dental Association in 2000
- Named as Honorary Member of the Swedish Society for Periodontology and Implant Dentistry in 2006.
Björn Klinge can be contacted at:
Faculty of Odontology
SE-205 06 Malmo, Sweden
Office Phone: +46 40 665 8454
Bjorn [dot] Klinge [at] mah [dot] se
Secretary: Tina Stenervik, Phone: +46 40 665 8457, email: Tina [dot] Stenervik [at] mah [dot] se