4 applicants will be taking the exams in Madrid!
The EAO’s Certificate in Implant-based Therapy has been developed to raise standards of oral implant-based therapy across Europe. Obtaining the certificate is a prestigious achievement that demonstrates the holder is competent to perform basic and advanced implant treatments. Certification is open to any dentist or maxillofacial surgeon worldwide – not just members of the EAO.
Completing the certification programme is an achievable goal for anyone who is suitably qualified. The EAO’s Certificate in Implant-based Therapy is the only Europe-wide standardised assessment of skills and expertise within the field of implant-based therapy. It supports the EAO’s core aim of improving standards of education, clinical practice and patient care in implant-based therapy. Certification provides a way of recognising the skills and expertise of dentists practising in this field.
EAO Certification from the EAO demonstrates to your patients and colleagues that you are committed to providing high-quality implant treatments. Successful applicants will be presented with their certificate by the EAO’s President during an award ceremony at the annual scientific meeting in front of an audience of their peers.
How to apply
Applications for the 2017 intake are now closed! 4 applicants have been invited to take the exams in Madrid.
The first part of the application is completed online. This will enable you to upload the documents required for Part 1.
For more information, please download the PDF guidance document. This contains full instructions about what the process involves.
The EAO Office is available to assist you at all steps of the online application process, should you require any assistance or have any questions, do not hesitate to contact them at info [at] eao.org (subject: Certification%20Programme) .
With all best wishes,
The EAO Certification Committee
A. General requirement
The Certification Programme is open to any dentist or
maxillofacial surgeon worldwide, providing they fulfil the other
requirements. Candidates do not need to be members of the EAO.
The candidate shall hold an academic degree from an
accredited dental school recognised by the ministry of health
and the government of their own country.
C. Theoretical and clinical training
The candidate shall be able to demonstrate 250 hours of
theoretical (60%) and clinical (40%) training.
The candidate shall have at least five years of experience
in dentistry (earliest application five years after attaining
The candidate shall present six different treated cases.
Registration fee: €500 – payable when the case studies are submitted
Examination fee: €1,000 – payable following acceptance of the application
Overview of the certification process and checklist
Step 1 - Online application
- Prepare your six case studies, including supporting pictures
- When you are sure that your cases are ready, register on the EAO website
- Contact the EAO office at info [at] eao.org (subject: Certification%20Programme) to arrange for the payment of the application fee of €500
- Upload a CV with signatures from two supervisors
- Upload evidence of appropriate training (including 250 hours experience gained in the field of implantology)
- Upload a signed statement confirming that you were in charge of the surgical/prosthetic treatment for the 6 cases presented
- Complete one PDF for each case study and prepare supporting images/radiographs in pdf format
- Upload the completed PDF + supporting images for each of the 6 cases
- Finalise your online application before the deadline
Your documents will be assessed by the Certification Committee, and providing your case studies and supporting documents meet the criteria for certification, you will be invited to sit a multiple choice examination and take part in an oral examination at the EAO-SEPES joint meeting which will be held in Madrid - October 5-7, 2017.
Step 2 - Prepare for written and oral examination
- Familiarise yourself with the body of knowledge that underpins the multiple choice examination
- Review your case studies in preparation for the oral examination
- Submit the balance of your certification fee (€1,000)
Step 3 - Written and oral examination
- Present yourself at the examination location
- Multiple choice examination
- Presentation of your case studies in front of a jury
Please note that you need to register to the congress in order to take the exams. Early bird registration is available until June 26th. More info here.
If your application is successful and meets the criteria to obtain the certification (valid for 10 years), you will be presented with the EAO Certificate in Implant-based Therapy during the Awards Ceremony in front of an audience of your peers!